Why Kobre & Kim
What Makes Us the Go-To Firm for International Disputes and Investigations?
We are 100% devoted to disputes and investigations. We are aggressive and trial-ready, and we focus on the heart of a dispute. We are conflict-free and able to advocate in situations involving overlapping institutional interests across multiple jurisdictions.
We focus only on disputes and investigations. Other lawyers regularly appoint us as special advocates for their clients in sensitive situations involving conflicts of interest. We do not ordinarily maintain repeat clients of our own. Our firm focuses on:
- conducting litigation, arbitrations or investigations via special engagements; and
- partnering with law firms that continue as client advisers while we conduct in-court advocacy.
By avoiding repeat client relationships, and the conflicts of interest that come with them, we maintain our independence as advocates ready to litigate against virtually any institution.
The Premier Solution for International Disputes and Investigations.
Recognized for excellence by virtually every major industry-standard rankings organization, including Chambers & Partners, Benchmark Litigation, The Legal 500 and Vault, we are the premier choice for clients seeking a conflict-free litigation firm to handle a complex international dispute or investigation.
Describing the firm, Benchmark Litigation has commented that "Kobre & Kim is truly unique. Not only is the firm focused strictly on litigation, arbitration, and investigations, but it also possesses unique aspects that, peers insist, 'don’t exist at any other firms.'"
Our unique team includes:
- U.S. litigators, English barristers and solicitors, Hong Kong solicitors and offshore lawyers experienced in the coordination and execution of cross-border litigation;
- former U.S. federal and state prosecutors and enforcement lawyers, including:
- former members of the U.S. Department of Justice's Securities and Commodities Fraud Task Force,
- a former chief of the Criminal Division of a major U.S. Attorney's Office,
- a former counselor to the U.S. Attorney General,
- several former senior counsel at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and
- former New York Assistant District Attorneys with extensive experience in New York state criminal and investigatory matters;
- three English Queen's Counsel with extensive trial experience in complex commercial disputes;
- several members with experience as English and offshore judges, and as sitting arbitrators and mediators, among other roles; and
- a team of analysts who work under the supervision of our lawyers on matters requiring industry-specific or financial products expertise.
Our global resources and local market experience enables our lawyers to pursue aggressive positions on behalf of our clients.
Goal-Oriented Trial Lawyers.
Our firm attacks each engagement using an aggressive, trial-focused strategy designed to get to "the heart of the matter" as quickly as possible. All of our professionals are trained in a specific model of litigation. We do not engage in time-consuming pretrial jousting that is immaterial to a victory. Our clients trust us to keep their objectives in sight and to focus all of our efforts on key aspects of the controversy that are material to ultimate success.
Innovative Fee Structures.
In many cases, our clients can take advantage of our services for fixed fees with premiums for achieving specific solutions to the problem at hand. We are also experienced in obtaining third-party funding for litigation when appropriate. Our innovative approach to valuing professional services affords our clients a rare measure of certainty regarding the expenses associated with each stage of the litigation.
High Quality, Low Volume.
“One of the surprising facts about working with Kobre & Kim is that although they had significant staff in multiple jurisdictions, we felt that we were receiving a personal commitment and attention from all of their attorneys.”
– Kobre & Kim client, as reported to Benchmark Litigation
We accept only a limited number of engagements to ensure that our institutional and private clients enjoy access, responsiveness and service consistent with the highest standards of the profession. Because we do not ordinarily maintain repeat clients, our professionals are not tied to any particular clientele as in traditional law firms. When we make a commitment to take on an engagement, we have the ability to focus significant manpower and resources where needed.